Sunday, December 22, 2019

Almost Ready

We are still in the boatyard.  I had originally estimated that we would be here for three weeks and it has been a little over five.  But we do have a launch date.  Of course we had one a week ago that got pushed back.

The big delay has been because we  decided to have the mast painted.  It took several days to remove all of the hardware, several more waiting for the welder to make some repairs, several to have it painted and several more to have it reinstalled.  While the mast was off we made some modifications.  We ran a new cable for the VHF radio.  This involved some soldering which is a skill I never developed but we made do.  The cables inside the mizzen mast (we have two masts) had been hitting the sides of the mast when the boat rocked.  We added several new cables in the last few years and it was now making a noise that we could no longer ignore.  This was the reason to have that mast pulled from the start.  We solved this by running the cables through several pool noodles and sliding them up inside the mast.  Now the cables will have some padding around them and the noise will stop.  Who knew there were so many uses for pool noodles?  Eventually all these were sorted out and it was  time to reinstall (step) the masts.  The reinstall went smoothly and all is well. I must mention that while the hardware was off the masts Cori gave every piece of stainless steel a thorough polishing and waxing.

Once the mast were installed it was time to get around to other projects.  I started a simple project with the engine.  I replaced the sacrificial zinc anodes and attempted to replace the water intake pumps impeller.  I say attempted because it didn't exactly go well.  First off you need to understand that we have a diesel engine installed in a very confining space.  To make matters worse it is installed backwards.  The front to the motor faces the stern and is only serviceable from the rear.  This means that in order to do simple jobs like adjust the belts I have to work while laying on top of the engine and working around an array of cables and hoses.  The pump is in a very awkward space and hard to work on.  Replacing the impeller involves removing four bolts, sliding the face plate off. sliding the impeller out.  Not impossible but just very clumsy to do while laying on top of the engine and trying to reach the work area with both hands.  I also had to deal with the fact that for some reason the power was out in the yard and I needed to aim a flashlight to the area I was working in.  Well, to make a short story long, it didn't go well.  The fourth bolt I attempted to remove sheared off.  It had corroded and was weak.  This meant that I now had to remove the pump and find a repair.  In order to remove the pump I first needed to reroute some hoses, and remove the alternator.  Not insurmountable but remember trying to hold that pesky flashlight?  Once the alternator was off I was able to get at the pump mount.  I was very proud of myself for not dropping anything until the last bolt and the specially designed mounting nut dropped under the engine.  Fortunately it and most everything I was working with are not stainless steel.  Stainless steel does not react to a magnet but this part did.  I was able to swing a magnet on a line near enough to catch it and the day was saved.  Losing things in the hidden pockets in a boat is not unheard of.  I once lost a socket and ratchet wrench while replacing the impeller several years ago.  I never have found them, I just need to add them to the price when we decide to sell the boat.  This all happened on a Friday and we were scheduled to be launched on Monday.  I checked around and was given the mane of a shop in the neighboring boat yard to take the pump to.  Remember I said the power was out?  It was an area thing and since the power was off they closed and went home for the day.  I checked with Budget Marine next door to see if they carried the pump, they didn't but told me who may have it.  I packed it up and caught a bus to check.  I told the driver where I was going and they dropped me off right in front.  Continuing my streak of luck the person who dealt with pumps was gone for the day.  I left the pump and asked him to contact me on Monday.   Monday I received an email from him that it was no problem, I just needed to decide if I wanted it in a week or in three weeks and the price was totally out of our budget.  I made the bus trip back to pick up the pump and they suggested a machine shop near the boat yard.  Back on the bus.  By now it was late and they were closed.  The next day, Tuesday, I brought the pump over and they said not a problem they would have it done by lunch.  Now I have to find a rebuild kit since the original problem was that the seal had failed and water had leaked out and ruined the bolt, not to mention the bearing.  Several calls and I was told they had the parts.  Another bus ride and I had the parts in hand.  I dropped them off at the machine shop and they said they would get at it right after lunch and to pick it up at 3:00.  We are used to everyone operating on island time but this is the first time that someone was true to their word and it was ready.  Wednesday morning I started early reinstalling everything.  It helped that the power was on and I had a light to work with.  I didn't drop anything, used no words I would be ashamed of saying in front of my mother and it was once again ready to run.  I also took the opportunity to change the oil, the filter and transmission fluid.   Service engine checked off the list.  We are getting closer.


The offending pump


The red beast that lives within

Now not all we are doing is working.  Most days, around beer-thirty, we have been making a trip to the store in the yard to have a couple of beers with other cruisers and compare the day.  Most days my problems are small compared to the others.

Cori has been busy with getting the sails on, giving the boat a good scrubbing and working on some sewing projects.  Today, Saturday, we took a break and made a trip to PriceMart (similar to Sams Club or Costco) for our final provisioning.  Other than fresh fruits and vegetables we have enough supplies to last several months.

We are scheduled to be launched Monday afternoon and plan to spend Christmas here.  We plan to make the trip to Granada later in the week when the winds and waves look more favorable.

That's it, not what I had planned when we arrived but it is all part of the cruising experience: repairing boats in exotic locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment